August 18, 2012

My First Military Installation

We are stationed at Fort Wainwright, AK and this is my first time living on post. I was against the idea at first but practicality prevailed. Part of your military salary is housing allowance and is a set amount given to you to pay for your living expenses/rent. The reason some may choose to live off post is because you can find a place to rent for less than your allowance and can keep the difference. In Alaska though, the heating expenses alone are more expensive than rent was back home in Utah. Living on post means we give up our housing in exchange for rent and most utilities. Long story, not so short, it saves us money so here we are.

Let's get the downsides out of the way. The speed limits are ridiculous!!! 15 MPH is unreal and you cannot get away with going just a few miles over out here, they will ticket you. Also, everything closes at 7pm. There are no late night runs to the grocery store because everything shuts down so early. I pushed the limit one night and went grocery shopping 30 minutes before 7. When it was time to close, there was this hag going isle by isle telling people they had to stop shopping. How militant of them...pun intended.
I'm not sure what the requirements are out here for retailers but it seems like everyone in the "customer service" industry here on post is completely incompetent. I have never encountered people so rude and just plain ignorant as to their job functions. Grrrr

Mmmmmk, enough of the ranting. Here's the good part. First, we are close to Hubby's work so he can come home for lunch and we see him a lot more. Also, I feel really safe here. I have no reservations about letting my nine year old play outside. I have also been able to meet more people here who are in the same situation. There are a lot of nice ladies and kids. Another bonus is we live next door to the school, very convenient.

It's taking some getting use to but I think that we are going to be okay. It is getting easier each day. Being in the military is no picnic and I have a new respect for those ladies who have been in it for as long as they have. One day I will be able to say that I survived being an Army wife.

1 comments:

Harada's said...

Your amazing. I'm sure it's so challenging living on post. What an adjustment. .. Glad your meeting people and starting to feel better. :)

Post a Comment