December 20, 2011

My Big Baby

I received a call from the office of Isaac's school yesterday saying that he was having an asthma attack and I needed to come give him a treatment. I got there and found out that the reason he was having trouble is that the school had a fire drill that morning. Apparently, they don't get to put their coats on. They just have to file out of the school immediately. So because he was out in the cold for so long, he got sick. Good times. I called the doctor to see if we could get something that he could keep at school in case I wasn't able to get there and they scheduled us to come in for an appointment that afternoon.
We got to the office and got him all setup with extra stuff then, our Doctor asked if he had his flu vaccine yet. Nope. He hears the conversation and begins to cry. I asked if he could have the spray mist but he can't because of his athsma. The Doctor also felt that it was really important that he get vaccination because sickness does tend to be a trigger for his attacks.
We went back to the immunization area and he flings himself onto the floor of the waiting room and begins to wail. Mind you, this is a big-for-his-age-eight-year-old boy doing this. I start in with telling him that he isn't allowed to act like that in public. He can't lay on their floor and he certainly can't scream at the top of his lungs! I get him to sit in a chair and cry quietly to himself. While he's having a pity party, I ask the lady administering it if this was going to be okay. She said they would make it work because he did actually HAVE to get vaccine. She tried talking to him and I tried talking to him but he was just hysterical. After about 30 minutes of trying to reason with him, him promising that he just needs a minute to calm himself down, and me having to pry his fingers from the door jam, he starts having an athsma attack because he's got himself so worked up. I say "Okay, if you can't do it, we have to do it for you". A male attendant joins us and I tell Isaac to give me a hug because we're just going to do it. He grabs me tight, the guy holds his hands in place and the nurse gives him the shot. He SCREAMED!!!!
After she was done he looks at me and says "I am really sorry Mom, that didn't hurt".  On our way out, he probably apologized 20 times. He felt pretty embarrassed for causing such a scene. I was embarrassed for him...and myself. After the whole ordeal he remembers that there was an elderly lady who was in there before us. He says to me "Mom, even an old Grandma is braver than me!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment